It all started with GMail. The scary red bar at the top of the screen that proclaimed Firebug's debug console doesn't play nicely with others. That's fine, they give you the option to hide the message if you really need the console open, and tell you how to disable it for only GMail's site if not. No harm, no foul.
As I began to use the various Google APIs, I noticed something strange.
While scripts on the page were loading, I could send debug info to the console just fine. However, if I opened Firebug
once the page was done loading,
window.console didn't work as I expected. On a mashup for a client
at work, it appeared
window.console had been overwritten by an anonymous closure.
Take out the Google script, and you get back your console. Huh. Well, "console" is such a generic name, I guess naming
conflicts are to be expected when you apply something like that to the global namespace. No harm, no foul.
The Google Map API destroys
window.console during page load.
Long story short: If you use a Google map on your personal site, you cannot debug it during page load using
apparently one of their own developers fell into this trap:
All original work on this site is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license unless otherwise specified.
You may share or use any code or images from this site in any manner, for free, so long as reasonable effort has been made to give credit where due.
The views expressed in the posts and comments on this blog do not necessarily reflect those of my current or former employers.